It’s nearly the most wonderful time of the year… although it can be one of the most stressful when it comes to organising presents, food, decorations and so much more! It can also be a time when we end up creating an awful lot of thoughtless waste; plastic packaging, glitter-covered wrapping paper that can’t be recycled (instead, check out these zero waste gift wrapping ideas from Trash is for Tossers), and even the novelty toys from our Christmas crackers can be some of the main culprits filling up landfill sites after the festivities are over.
To help you take a little bit of the pressure out of finding thoughtful gifts while still remaining eco-conscious, I’ve rounded up 10 sustainable Christmas gift ideas… presents that are kind to the planet, with a little something to suit a variety of tastes and prices points!
- The Natural Beauty Box: If you’re a green beauty fan, you’ve probably heard of The Natural Beauty Box! Their amazing monthly subscription boxes consist of 5-6 carefully curated beauty products matching a particular theme, all of which are vegan & cruelty free and are often handmade items from small-batch brands. I was lucky enough to try my first box back in May, and have recently purchased this month’s box which I’m really looking forward to receiving! You can pre-order December’s ‘Sparkle & Glow’ box in time for Christmas for £25.95; with contents worth over a whopping £100, the boxes will be sent out earlier than usual on 12th December to make sure everyone receives theirs in time for the big day! Or, if you’re feeling extra generous, why not purchase a monthly subscription for the beauty addict in your life? Check out the various subscription options, here.
- Lily Lolo Constellation Eye Collection: I’m a huge fan of Lily Lolo‘s products; I received quite a few myself as Christmas presents last year from my lovely boyfriend! I particularly love their eyeshadows, and I’m super excited to see that they have just released a gorgeous new limited edition collection of loose mineral shadows in very festive metallic colours, the Constellation Collection. They’d make the perfect gift for any makeup lover and are all-natural, cruelty free and vegan friendly! The collection is priced at £26.
- Meadow Skincare Discovery Kit: I was recently sent some samples by the lovely people at Meadow Skincare; their range is pretty much brand new, so it was my first time trying anything from them and I was super impressed! Kelly & Wendy formulate and create all of their natural, vegan products by hand and they’re all waterless, which means they’re jam-packed with all the stuff that’s great for your skin, without any need for chemical preservatives. Their products are some of the most luxurious-feeling I’ve ever used and I think they’d make amazing Christmas presents for someone who deserves pampering; they offer a Discovery Kit which contains their Face Balm, Cleansing Balm, Face Mask and Face Oil, giving a great introduction to the brand in a beautiful gift box. To top it off, Meadow are running the discount code MEADOW20 for 20% off all products in their range until 31st December 2018, so you can purchase the set for just £32 instead of £40!
- Leave No Trace Reusable Cotton Pads: I discovered this awesome Etsy store recently called Leave No Trace and ended up purchasing two sets of their Reusable Cotton Pads; one for myself and one as a Christmas gift! They come in the most gorgeous pouches in a variety of patterns, which can also be used as a wash bag to prevent the pads going missing in the washing machine. They’re £8.50 for a set containing 12 pads, or £10 if you want to upgrade to organic pads.
- 4ocean Bracelet: 4ocean is an incredible initiative on a mission to save the oceans from plastic pollution. Their beautiful unisex bracelets are made from recycled glass and plastic bottles, and each bracelet purchase funds the removal of a pound of plastic waste from our oceans and coastlines; they come in a variety of colours, which each represent your support for a different cause or conservation effort. I’ve just bought one of these as a Christmas present for a family member, and I’m so excited to gift it while supporting such a wonderful organisation! In the UK, 4ocean bracelets can be purchased from various retailers including Soul Hippy and WWF, and cost in the region of £16 – £20 each.
- ASOS Recycled Polyester Touch Screen Gloves: I’ve always been a big fan of ASOS (I mean, who isn’t?!), but since I’ve become more conscious of the impact my fashion choices can have on the environment, I’ve been a lot more careful about what I buy from mainstream clothing retailers. ASOS have a fantastic ‘Eco Edit’, which rounds up their most sustainable products and includes a line of accessories made from recycled polyester such as these touch screen gloves priced at £5. I’ve actually purchased these for myself recently and not only are they super handy for those of us that are glued to our iPhones in all weathers, they’re also super soft, simple and stylish. They’d make a great stocking filler as we go into what’s set to be a pretty cold New Year ahead!
- Rapanui Clothing ‘Rad’ Bamboo Socks: It may seem like a total cliché to buy someone socks for Christmas, but it’s actually what my boyfriend asked me for this year (along with a new mug for work… such an old fogey!) so I scoured the internet for some fun, sustainable men’s socks and came across a range of awesome bamboo socks from Rapanui Clothing. They offer 3 mix-and-match pairs in men’s or women’s styles for just £13, and they have some amazing designs to choose from; the perfect stocking filler and definitely NOT boring!
- Warm Grey Company Washable Paper Storage Solutions: Warm Grey Company is another sustainable Etsy store I absolutely love, who specialise in a variety of storage solutions made from a renewable and washable paper material that feels almost like leather. I own quite a few products from this store, but my favourites are my gorgeous set of paper baskets in their Birch Bark design. They’re so versatile and stylish that I use them all around the house; one is currently home to a palm plant, while another contains all my small beauty items and samples. They’d make a wonderful gift for anyone style-conscious and house-proud, priced at £37 for a set of 3 sizes, or ranging from £12 – £35 per individual basket. There are also a wider range of patterns and lining colours available, which all vary in price from around £8 upwards.
- Join Botanical Room Mist: I was lucky enough to be gifted this lovely Join Room Mist in the Hedgerow scent by Origins of Beauty, and I’ve totally fallen in love with the smell! It’s a very delicate blend of neroli, rose and basil, and it’s making my flat smell like a spa! It’d make the perfect luxury stocking filler at £15, and is also very natural (made with only oils) and sustainable (the glass bottle is 100% recyclable). Origins of Beauty also offer several of Join’s other home and wellbeing products, including candles and reed diffusers in an exciting range of scents.
Just for Him
- Mo Bros Beard Balm Gift Set: I’ve bought my boyfriend gifts from men’s grooming company Mo Bros a few times now, and have always been impressed with their products! Although, unfortunately, some of their products do still come in plastic bottles (namely their beard oils), they do have many products that come in sustainable aluminium tins, including their Beard Balms. The Beard Balm Gift Set contains 6 Beard Balms in a variety of amazing scents (including Vanilla & Mango and Sweet Mint, mmm!), all contained within a handy storage tin for just £18. I can attest to these balms smelling absolutely gorgeous, and my boyfriend has always loved using them! They’re formulated in the UK using Shea Butter, Beeswax and Sweet Almond Oil.
Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas and best of luck with your shopping! Enjoyed my Gift Guide? Let me know in the comments below!
Photo Credits: The product photos in the post have been sourced individually from the retailer’s website or online shop.